Skip to main content

Birthday Weekend

Yes, I'm another year older as of Friday. But when you get to be my age, what's another year? Hey, it beats the alternative! I didn't do much celebrating on Friday, since it was my late Friday at work. It was nice to get a phone call from Brandon, wishing me Happy Birthday. Of course, I had given him several subtle reminders earlier in the week, though he said he didn't need them. We had a family celebration last night at Chili's. Here are some pics:

With my older (need I stress that OLDER-hey at least I have a couple of siblings OLDER than me!) brother, Terry and my sister-in-law, Sandy...my older (yes, another older one) sister, Rhonda...my mom - okay, my mom has her mouth wide open, but this is the only pic I got...my baby brother Mike, and my sister-in-law, Diana...my best friend, Melody (I look a bit stunned here)I didn't get pics with Corby, Kaitlin or Kaleb, because my camera batteries died after these pictures. My little sister Marilyn had to work and couldn't make it.

After we "partied" at Chili's, Corby, Melody, the kids and I met up with some friends at the Bergmann's Corn Maze in Haysville. Kaitlin had been there before, but the rest of us were newbies. We had a good time even though it was rather chilly out there. Wish I could have taken pictures. The full moon was beautiful!

Corby headed to Oklahoma this morning to visit Charles. They need to talk more about Charles' wishes as his health worsens. He is also working with a lawyer to get everything in writing, so Corby will have to make another trip down in the next week or two to get things signed. His brother and sister-in-law, Doug and Debbie, will be coming over today also. They just moved to Edmond, but they aren't too far from Charles in Chandler. The twins are both working 11-8 today, so I've got some ME time! YIPPEE! Of course, I have about 10 loads of laundry to get done.

I fixed Cinnamon Bits for breakfast this morning. I only fix them about once a year, because they are nothing but calories, but they are SO easy. Here's the recipe:

Take regular canned biscuits (however many you think you will need, I used 2 cans this morning)...cut them in fourths. Melt butter, enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Roll your cut-up biscuits in the butter, sprinkle cinnamon over the top, and bake a few minutes longer than the amount they tell you on the biscuit can - usually 8-13 minutes. While they are baking, mix evaporated milk w/powdered sugar. You can make as much or as little as you want. Just throw some powdered sugar in a small bowl and starting with a little evaporated milk, keep adding until its fairly runny, or whatever consistency you like. Take the cinnamon bits out when they get brown on the top and drizzle the icing over the top. YUMMY! I learned how to make these when I was about 8 years old (yes, that was a LONGGGG time ago!) and the best thing is, I can still remember the recipe! Of course, how much easier could it be?

I've finished 2 books the last few days, the Lisa Beamer "Let's Roll" book I mentioned in an earlier post, and "A Thousand Tomorrows", and older book by Karen Kingsbury. I picked up the latest Nora Roberts book "High Noon" at the library yesterday, so I'll be starting it today.

As for music, I just put my IPOD on shuffle, so I am listening to everything from the Beach Boys, to Seether, to Michael W. Smith, to Garth Brooks, to Amy Winehouse, to Rascal Flatts, to Gary Allen, to Creedence Clearwater Revival, to Bob Seger (can you tell I could go on and on?)

The quote for the day comes from William Arthur Ward: "Optimists enrich the present, enhance the future, challenge the improbable and attain the impossible."

Comments

Country Girl said…
has anyone told you and melody that you two could pass for sisters??
Chris said…
Cinnamon Bits...how about Awesome Bits instead?

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

VACATION

On vacation for a few days (return to work on Thursday)...here's where I wish I was... I plan on enjoying some peace and quiet...and possibly, if I get motivated, getting some cleaning and organizing done in the office area of the basement. We'll see if that motivation arrives (it's not here yet)... Good news for Park City residents...recycling came to town the first of January. We are charged $4.00 month (added onto our already high water bill); but it has lowered the price of our trash pickup. The company P.C. contracted with has a much lower price than the company we use. Our company matched the price, so our trash bills went down (considerably) AND we get to recycle. We can recycle almost all our plastics, newspapers, cardboard, aluminum cans, cereal boxes, glass, motor oil, etc. We've got two big bags to set out tomorrow. Just doin' our part for the environment. We are without hot water right now...our hot water heater needs a new thermo-couple? It's a fair

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore