Skip to main content

Better, but????

I am feeling better than I was mid-week, but I am still not over this crappy cold! I either have a head full, a sore nose, a sore throat, or a headache. I am also whinny, can you tell?

Corby and I went back down to Chandler yesterday to do the estate sale at Charles house. We were able to sell almost all of the small to middle-size stuff; but were pretty surprised that the furniture didn't sell. Right before we closed down, we had a lady interested in the king-sized bed, and another lady interested in the couch. Corby has to go back down on Wednesday to get everything else cleaned out of the house, haul trash to the dump, take stuff to Goodwill, etc.; so hopefully they will buy the couch and bed. That leaves a mirrored dresser, a rattan-style desk, one recliner, one regular lounge chair, one glass-topped end table, and a few other odds and ends. We don't really want to haul all that stuff home and sell it here, so we'll probably just give it away. We didn't get to see Corby's brother or sister while we were there. His sister was out of town, and his brother was fighting a terrible headache. The house is fairly small, so Corby and I were easily able to handle the "crowd" for the sale. It was a bit surprising that when we arrived just before 8:30am, we had people waiting to get in. I had put 9am as the start time in the paper. We asked everyone to give us a few minutes to get our money table set up, and then we let them "have at it!"

Was reading "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen, one of my favorite authors, but just could NOT get into the book. I finally gave up, something I rarely do. I have just started "My First Five Husbands", a biography by Rue McClanahan (the one in yellow from the GOLDEN GIRLS). I haven't read much, but am enjoying it so far.Oh yeah, wanted to mention what happened to Kaitlin the other night at work. She came home from work very upset, thinking she may lose her job. Apparently some guy did the "shuffle bill" con game on her. It's where they give you $100 bill for a $2 or $3 item, and when you give them back the change, they start shuffling bills back to you until they have you so confused they end up getting away with extra money. When I worked at my dad's liquor store years ago, I had someone do it to me. They are very good at what they do. Well, the guy got Kaitlin so confused she sent him to the courtesy booth to get what "change" he kept saying he needed. After he left, she started looking at the bills in her drawer, and realized he got away with some money, though she had no idea how much. She told the manager on duty, who said they would have to check her drawer but wouldn't know until morning. She was scheduled to be off the next day, but they called her in to work. She asked about her drawer, but they wouldn't tell her how much it was short, just that Andy (one of the managers) said not to worry about it. When she got to work, they told her they had reviewed the security tapes, and saw that the guy was a professional, who apparently had the help of the woman in line behind him, as she was watching out to see if anybody noticed what they were doing. All they told Kaitlin was to send people immediately to the courtesy booth if they start "switching" money around, and also to let them know if she saw the guy in the store again. He was not a regular customer. She offered to pay back what the drawer was short - they said no, and never would tell her how much the guy got away with. I am glad Leeker's handled it the way they did, and I told Kaitlin that they need to encourage training with all new cashiers about these con games.

I talked to Brandon last night. He called to tell me how much money he needs for second semester. IT'S A LOT! We are trying to come up with about $1400 before mid-January so he doesn't have to borrow any money for this semester. He should be able to earn $500-$700 the month he will be working at Leeker's while he's home, and hopefully we can come up with the rest. The money he earns at Dillons covers his gas and spending money at school, he doesn't really make enough to save any of it.

Got my Christmas cards done and mailed. I've got a system down, have my labels on the computer, and always buy cards for half price right after Christmas. I make small notes all year for things to include in our annual Christmas letter, and I try to start writing it in November. Kaleb picked up stamps for me, and Kaitlin mailed them for me. We've received just one card so far. But then again, it's only December 2nd! It's beginning to look a lot like C-h-r-i-s-t-m-a-s!

Comments

Country Girl said…
i LOVED the golden girls back in the day!!

poor kaitlin... i had that happen to me when i worked at dillon's. jerk got away with over $100. :(
Chris said…
I got your Christmas card yesterday and marveled at the fact that you were sick last week but were so organized that I got your card on December 1! It was my first of the season. There have been years when I am that organized but this year isn't one of them!
Linda said…
I actually did have time the weekend after Thanksgiving, since Corby didn't come home from Oklahoma. Kaitlin decorated the house, and got out my Christmas cards, so it just spurred me to get them done I guess.

And I still watch the Golden Girls on Lifetime late at night.

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

K-STATE WINS!

K-STATE beat KU! AWESOME! It was a tense game. Corby is a huge KU fan, and even having a son at K-State hasn't changed that. I am happy when any Kansas team does well; but I had to root for K-State tonight. If the Jayhawks had to lose, I'm glad it was to K-State. Michael Beasley is a great player, and my only concern is that he will leave after his freshman year and go pro. WAY TO GO CATS!