Skip to main content

Mattress Shopping

I went mattress shopping today for my sister. She will be getting out of the rehab hospital soon, and she desperately needed a new mattress and box springs. Because we have had a waterbed since we got married, the only bedding we've bought were twin beds for the kids years ago. Wow - mattresses can be VERY expensive. I saw some mattress sets that were $3000! I don't know who in their right mind would pay that much, but somebody must since they're on the showroom floor. I shopped around a bit, but settled on a set at Slumberland - partly because they are an advertiser in the Eagle. I always want to support our advertisers! They will call on Wednesday with a delivery time on Friday, and they will haul off the old set. Bed shopping was sure an eye opener. Corby has talked about getting new bedroom furniture, including a "regular" bed. But I just can't give up my waterbed! I love it! It's hard for me to sleep on a normal bed when we are on vacation. Since we paid about $800 for our waterbed just over 20 years ago - we've only put one heater in it - and that was last year. We've patched 2 leaks over the years, but other than that - we've invested no money in it. The only trick is finding decent waterbed sheets. I've had to start searching online because you can't find anything decent around here.

Have you been following the story of the guy in Hutchinson who put his 2 kids in the dryer, held the door shut, and caused 2nd degree burns on the little boy? He was convicted of child abuse last week, and then apparently released until his sentencing date. He didn't show up today - go figure! Why was this guy even released? I guess they finally caught up with him late this afternoon, but still! Didn't they think he might be a flight risk? I guess I don't understand the law, but I just don't understand why he wasn't in jail. Oh yeah - and his defense? He was doing it for fun because that's what he and his siblings did when they were kids. Yeah, right! I bet they didn't turn the dryer on high heat and hold the door closed on each other like he did with his kids. What a sicko! People like that don't deserve kids!

Today's quote is from Lucille Ball: "The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age."



Comments

Heather rules said…
Mattress shopping is no fun. blah.

I hear ya about that Hutchinson dude. Well when he goes to jail, he might not make it very long in there.
Rockyn Robyn said…
I agree with Heather on all counts!

I hate mattress shopping, and hopefully, that dude will find out why they call it "the pokey".

I hope your sister is doing better! Bless her heart! Its been a long road, huh.
Jennifer Lynne said…
I also agree with Heather.

I don't see how anyone could hurt babies or kids like that. And to me... there is no excuse.
Princess Jill said…
I wish someone would put HIM in the dryer and show him how it feels.

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

VACATION

On vacation for a few days (return to work on Thursday)...here's where I wish I was... I plan on enjoying some peace and quiet...and possibly, if I get motivated, getting some cleaning and organizing done in the office area of the basement. We'll see if that motivation arrives (it's not here yet)... Good news for Park City residents...recycling came to town the first of January. We are charged $4.00 month (added onto our already high water bill); but it has lowered the price of our trash pickup. The company P.C. contracted with has a much lower price than the company we use. Our company matched the price, so our trash bills went down (considerably) AND we get to recycle. We can recycle almost all our plastics, newspapers, cardboard, aluminum cans, cereal boxes, glass, motor oil, etc. We've got two big bags to set out tomorrow. Just doin' our part for the environment. We are without hot water right now...our hot water heater needs a new thermo-couple? It's a fair