Skip to main content

RADIATOR HELL (YESTERDAY)!!!!


Here's a BAD radiator.

See BAD radiator.
See OLD radiator.
Say goodbye to radiator.
BAD radiator.







Here's a battery that was TOO big!

See BIG battery.
Not battery's fault.
Previous owner's fault.
Stupid battery purchaser.








Can you tell how those two things might have caused us a long day? As mentioned in an earlier blog, Brandon's car needed a new radiator, which we could not find anywhere in Manhattan. We purchased one at Advanced Auto Parts here in Wichita (this will come into play later in the story). We got to Manhattan at approx. 10:00 yesterday morning. Brandon and I left Corby working on the radiator on the K-State "miles from the dorm & campus" parking lot. We walked to the other end of the campus where the Financial Aid office is to drop off a scholarship check from our church. By the time we got back to the dorm it was almost noon, and Brandon had to head to a 12:30 class. I went back over to the parking lot to help Corby. He had to tear apart the entire front end of the car: the radiator, fan housing and fan, wires, hoses, etc. Finally about 1:30, we got everything put together, and we found that the fan couldn't turn because the battery was TOO big. Basically, we determined that the damage done to the radiator was caused by the fan breaking off because it kept hitting the fan casing which was caused by the overlapping battery! So I had to run to Walmart and buy the "right-sized" battery. When we got everything put together and filled the radiator with coolant - you guessed it - it had a leak! THE RADIATOR WAS DEFECTIVE!!!! Brandon got back to the dorm around 2:30, but had to work at 4; so I had him get online and find the nearest Advanced Auto - Topeka or Salina. Topeka was about 10 miles closer, so I called the store and they did have a replacement. Corby was so stressed and upset at that point, we decided to take a small break before heading to Topeka. We took Brandon to lunch/dinner at Arby's. It gave us just enough time to "de-stress" plus we got to visit with Brandon. He took Corby's suburban to work while we headed to Topeka. We finally got the car back together (with NO leak!) about 7pm. By the time we cleaned up our mess, took Brandon's car to Dillons, picked up the Suburban keys from him and hit the road home, it was about 7:45! Of course, that meant we were driving two vehicles home, so it was not only a long drive after a long day, it was lonely! Okay, it's only a 2 hour drive, but at the end of the day we had, it felt like 8 hours! We are still recouperating today.


Here's the hero of the day. Thanks honey! And thanks from your big boy. I know he appreciated it!
















Even though it cost a couple hundred dollars to fix the car, I am positive we saved Brandon at least $300; so I guess it was worth it.

Today was pretty much a blur at work. I know I was there. I know I worked. I know I made plates (UGH!)...but that's about all I know. Oh yeah, I also know I ate a salad for dinner.

The twins are working tonight, Corby is dozing/watching football, and I am veggin' just a bit. Perhaps I'll feel like doing something tomorrow, but then again, perhaps not!

Am just about finished with "See How She Dies" by Lisa Jackson. It's 500 pages, and I haven't had much time the last 4 or 5 days to read; but I plan on finishing it tonight. I have less than 100 pages to go. I also have a book to pick up at the library, but since I put about 8 books on hold, I have no idea which one it is. I'll find out Saturday I guess, as that's the first chance I'll have to pick it up.

Today's music: JOURNEY. I listened to the "Frontiers" CD on my way to and from work.

Today's inspirational quote:
"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
-- Mary Anne Radmacher

Comments

Chris said…
Love, love, love this quote! So sorry your Manhattan trip was so stressful. But not it's done and you can rest easy knowing that his car's in good shape. Might see you at the fair this weekend! We're in the Meadowlark Building.
Country Girl said…
i sure hope you had a jamocha shake while you were at arby's. those are a sure fire way to relieve stress. :)

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

VACATION

On vacation for a few days (return to work on Thursday)...here's where I wish I was... I plan on enjoying some peace and quiet...and possibly, if I get motivated, getting some cleaning and organizing done in the office area of the basement. We'll see if that motivation arrives (it's not here yet)... Good news for Park City residents...recycling came to town the first of January. We are charged $4.00 month (added onto our already high water bill); but it has lowered the price of our trash pickup. The company P.C. contracted with has a much lower price than the company we use. Our company matched the price, so our trash bills went down (considerably) AND we get to recycle. We can recycle almost all our plastics, newspapers, cardboard, aluminum cans, cereal boxes, glass, motor oil, etc. We've got two big bags to set out tomorrow. Just doin' our part for the environment. We are without hot water right now...our hot water heater needs a new thermo-couple? It's a fair

Terrible Day

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here, but suffice it to say that I had a TERRIBLE day at work! I made a huge mistake costing the company some revenue, and I feel awful! I certainly didn't need anyone to get on my butt, because I was kicking myself for the better part of the day. I know, I know, I'm human, but this was a BIG human mistake! I hate to admit that I'm human! HATE TO MAKE MISTAKES - ESPECIALLY BIG ONES! Okay, that's it. I'm having a margarita and trying to relax now. I'm done with being human for a while!