Skip to main content

35+ Years of Concerts

As mentioned in a previous post, I've been going to concerts since I was 14. My first concert was the Osmonds at the old Levitt Arena. It was when Donny was every girl's dream. Although I really liked Donny, I was a fan of the oldest singing brother, Alan. I was disappointed that you couldn't really hear Donny sing, because every time he tried, all the girls screamed so loud you couldn't hear him. Over the years, I've seen the Osmonds in varying groups: the brothers, Donny & Marie, Donny - from Wichita to N. Dakota to Branson. Anyway, that concert in 1970 was the beginning of my concert life.

And now, in no particular order, are concerts I've attended. I'm sure I've forgotten some over the years, but I used to keep a scrapbook with the ticket stubs, so I've dug it out...

April 1980 - John Denver. I saw John several times. He had a much stronger voice than you might imagine and was a very good performer!

Oct. 1979 - Kansas. Saw them numerous times over the years. Always put on a good concert.

April 1979 - Billy Joel. GREAT

Nov. 1979 - STYX. My all-time favorite! I've seen them at least 5 times, and have never been disappointed.

Oct. 1978 - John Davidson. Yes, John Davidson. Anybody remember him?

Oct. 1977 - Wayne Newton. Don't laugh!

July 1978, Summer Rock II, Arrowhead Stadium - EAGLES, Linda Ronstadt and Dan Fogelberg. The Eagles are another favorite of mine. I also saw them here at Levitt Arena.

June 1980, Arrowhead Stadium - and here I'm giving you my mini-review of the bands: April Wine - bad; Kenny Loggins - great; Journey - lousy; and the Doobie Brothers - fantastic.

April 1981 - REO Speedwagon. Another group I've seen numerous times and always puts on a good show.

Kenny Rogers

Pure Prairie League

August, 1981 - ZZ Top with Loverboy

Sept. 1981 - Journey with the Michael Stanley Band. Journey was good at this show.

Sept. 1981 - Air Supply

Sept. 1981 - Alabama - Ks. State Fair

BARRY MANILOW - numerous times, including at the Las Vegas Hilton in 2005. Another GREAT entertainer!

1982 - Foreigner with Bryan Adams

1982 - Rod Stewart

1982 - Hall & Oates with Donnie Iris

1982 - Oak Ridge Boys. I've seen them several times too.

1982 - Willie Nelson

1982 - .38 Special

1982 - Rick Springfield

1986 - Huey Lewis & The News

1987 - Neil Diamond

1987 - Bryan Adams

1987 - Boston. Corby and I got engaged the next morning.

1988 - Alabama, Ricky von Shelton, Eddie Raven and Lee Greenwood.

1986 - The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, The Grass Roots and Gary Puckett

1987 - Richard Marx

1985 - Night Ranger

1985 - Tina Turner with Mr. Mister

1986 - Loverboy & The Hooters

1986 - Alabama & The Charlie Daniels Band

Others I've seen but have no dates/years for:

Doobie Brothers - numerous times
Michael W. Smith
Rascal Flatts (5 times I think)
Reba McIntire w/Billy Dean
Blake Shelton
Gary Allen
Travis Tritt
Chicago
Alice Cooper
Tony Orlando & Dawn
John Mellencamp
Three Dog Night
Peter Frampton
Gary Wright (Dreamweaver)
Little River Band
Elvis Presley (about 6 months before he died. He was bloated and not very good, but I can say I saw him)
Helen Reddy
Tim McGraw
Vince Gill
Jason Aldean
The Wreckers
Steve Azar
Glen Campbell
Bill Engvall (okay, so he's a comedian, but I've seen him, and he's good!)
Kris Kristofferson
Tracy Lawrence
Martina McBride
Anne Murray
Leann Rimes (not a fan, but she was w/Rascal Flatts)
B J Thomas
Sawyer Brown
Bucky Covington

Some artists that I always wanted to see but never did: Elton John, Bob Seger and the Bee Gees.

I'm sure there are more that I've seen, and more that I'd like to see; but I've gotta run. ENJOY!

Comments

Chris said…
OK, so in 1987 when you got engaged the next morning...was that an overnight date?!?

I was at the same Alabama concert at the State Fair in 1981!

My very first concert...the Doobie Brothers at the Bicentennial Center in Salina, circa 1980. Some guy sitting next to us actually offered my sister, my cousin and I a doobie!
Linda said…
yes, it was an overnight date snoopy! HA!

I think I forgot to put the Doobie Brothers on my list, but they are another group I've seen numerous times.
Heather rules said…
I'm a concert freak as well. It has slowed down considerably since marriage and my husband is a fun sucker who does not enjoy a good time. ;o)
That was a fun post.
I'm with you on Bob Seger. I grew up listening to him and he was one of my all time favs. When he came to KC last year, I tried to win tix, but had no luck. I'm usually VERY lucky at winning tix, but I guess this time it was not in the cards.
Linda said…
My husband isn't into concerts either. When we saw the Styx reunion tour in '96 (I think), we went with another couple. Me and my friend's husband were up singing and dancing thru the concert, while my husband and my friend sat in their seats unmoving. I don't get it. I can't sit still at a concert!
Heather rules said…
I can't either. When my dad and I went to the Eagles we were out of our seats the WHOLE time singing our hearts out. It was one of the best times I've ever had with my dad.

I will say though that when Motley Crue came two years ago, Justin actually had a good time. We were up jamming the whole show. I think we knew the words better the Vince Neil that night unfortunately. ;o)
Anonymous said…
Hi, I stumbled across your site while researching Gary Richrath of REO. It appears that we might have attended some of the same concerts there in Kansas. I used to toss my ticket stubs in a box, many which have been lost over the years, but the ones I do have from my days in KS are:

Reo Speedwagon: 13 April 1980, Salina Bicentennial - 24 April 1981, KS Coliseum
Doobie Brothers: 23 June 1981, Salina Bicentennial
Kansas: 2 Oct 1979, KS Coliseum - 6 Mar 1981, KS Coliseum
Foghat: 30 July 1980, KS Coliseum
ZZ Top: 12 Aug 1981, KS Coliseum
April Wine: 17 Apr 1981, Century II, Wichita
Jefferson Starship: 19 July 1981, KS Coliseum
Little River Band: 23 June 1980, KS Coliseum
Cheap Trick and AC/DC: 6 July 1979, Century II
Journey: 20 Sept 1981, Henry Levitt, WSU -still remember that Clarence Clemons sax from "MSB's "Lover"
Black Sabbath: Nov ? ?, Henery Levitt, WSU
Ted Nugent: 26 Jan 1979, KS Coliseum
I've attened concerts of most the above bands more than once. REO-7 times.

There are many Kansas concerts which I have fond memories of for which I did not save the ticket stubs:
Styx, at Salina and Wichita
Head East
Jay Ferguson
Michael Stanley Band
1881 and 82 Arrowhead Rock Jams (about 20 of our friends I drove up and got motel rooms..hell of a party)
Aerosmith
Blue Oyster Cult
Willie Nelson
Triumph
Billy Joel
Billy Squire
Queen
Rush

I am a Colorado native and am now back home after wandering the world for 20 some years but I have to say that the years I spent in Kansas, 78-86, were some of the most magical of my life. The people there are the salt of the earth and the most rock'n'est I've ever known.
(oh, and Chris, sorry about handing that doobie to your sister. I didn't inhale... was just passing it.)
-Gary
Linda said…
Gary - it does sound like we've attended some of the same concerts. I'm impressed that you saw Queen. They are another band I loved and never saw. We Kansans love our music!

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

VACATION

On vacation for a few days (return to work on Thursday)...here's where I wish I was... I plan on enjoying some peace and quiet...and possibly, if I get motivated, getting some cleaning and organizing done in the office area of the basement. We'll see if that motivation arrives (it's not here yet)... Good news for Park City residents...recycling came to town the first of January. We are charged $4.00 month (added onto our already high water bill); but it has lowered the price of our trash pickup. The company P.C. contracted with has a much lower price than the company we use. Our company matched the price, so our trash bills went down (considerably) AND we get to recycle. We can recycle almost all our plastics, newspapers, cardboard, aluminum cans, cereal boxes, glass, motor oil, etc. We've got two big bags to set out tomorrow. Just doin' our part for the environment. We are without hot water right now...our hot water heater needs a new thermo-couple? It's a fair

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore