Skip to main content

$350 later

Money, money, money...

here's a conversation tonight with Brandon who called about 6:30pm:

"Hi, mom, I've got a couple of things I need to talk to you about."
"What's up, son?"
"You know the apartment we filled out the application for - for next school year?
"Yes."
"We got it."
"That's great son!"
"But there's a small problem. We have to pay the deposit by this Friday."
"And how much is that?"
"....uhhhhh, $350!"

So, $350 later, he has an apartment at Jardine, which is owned by the college and is right across the street. He and 3 of his buddies, including his roommate from this year, are going to live together. They are renting a 4 bedroom, 2 bath apartment that includes a washer & dryer. Of course, now we have to come up with furniture! I told him that they need to talk about someone providing a couch, someone else a chair, someone else a dining room table, etc. So it looks like we'll be hitting garage sales come next month.

And for all of you out there who haven't experienced sending a kid off to college - START SAVING! He's borrowing money to pay for most of his schooling, but there are always things that crop up - books, gas money, car repairs, etc. We're trying to take care of those things for him. However, we're hoping to win the lottery before the twins head off to college in a year and a half.

Comments

Heather rules said…
Hey I may be able to help you out in the furniture dept. I have a dining room table with chairs. I'll talk to the hubcap about it. I wish I would not have given my sister a recliner, 2 swivel chairs and a sleeper sofa a couple months back. He could have had that too.
Unknown said…
Linda, tell him to watch when school dismisses for the summer. A lot of kids moving out of apartments will put perfectly good furniture at the curb because they have no place to store it. Best of all it's free - but you do have to store it for the summer. Also, there's a great little place at the NW corner of Pawnee and Meridian that sells used furniture from Suite Options. We bought our youngest daughter several things from there.
Linda said…
Peggy - thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it! We'll be more experienced at this when the twins head off to college next year!
Jennifer Lynne said…
I understand how expensive college can be. Part reason why it's taken me so long to get through it! I will keep my eye on classified ads and if I take any good deals, I'll letcha know.

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

K-STATE WINS!

K-STATE beat KU! AWESOME! It was a tense game. Corby is a huge KU fan, and even having a son at K-State hasn't changed that. I am happy when any Kansas team does well; but I had to root for K-State tonight. If the Jayhawks had to lose, I'm glad it was to K-State. Michael Beasley is a great player, and my only concern is that he will leave after his freshman year and go pro. WAY TO GO CATS!