Skip to main content

Difficult at Best

I'm not normally one to share my political or moral beliefs, but with what happened in Wichita on Sunday - the George Tiller murder - I'm going to share my thoughts.

I am - for the most part - pro choice. I feel a woman should be able to make the choice on abortion. However, I DO NOT think abortion should be used as a means of birth control! That said, the abortions that George Tiller was performing were legal. He was performing a legal service. I know for some of my friends and family, my position is difficult for them to understand. But I think you have to understand - women that are in dire straits - for whatever reason - their pregnancy is a result of rape, their fetus is not viable - are not taking their decision to abort lightly. I know several people - friends, or daughters of friends - who have had to make this terrible decision. I doubt that I, personally, could have an abortion, but I don't feel I have the right to tell other women what they should do. There - my position on abortion is out there. Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers.

...now...my position on Jon & Kate Plus 8. The Gosselin's have been all over the media for the last 6 weeks. Here are my observations: NOT ONE of us know what is truly happening in their marriage. We all know how the media likes to twist things. I do believe they should give up their TLC show, and focus on their marriage and their family. I understand that raising 8 children is very expensive (it's bad enough with 3 children) and the money they make from their reality show will likely put the children through college. I think both parents are to blame for what is happening with the media, and I think it's time for them to forego the show for their family. I would miss the show, but I am all about family - after all the cameras are gone and the money is spent, they still have to live with themselves.

I'm on a roll, aren't I? This is so not like me...

On to other things...I am having a book show for Party Lite candles. I've expressed my "love" for their candles before, but this time I am trying to help out my cousin Diana's daughter, Kelly - would that be my second cousin? She lives in St. Louis, is newly married, and is trying to make a go of a career as a Party Lite consultant. I volunteered to have a show for her - long distance. If you need to order any candles - votives, tealights, accessories, etc. - just let me know. I can get you her website information for ordering online, or I can get a book to you.

I am also having a garage sale this Saturday. It's city-wide, so there will be lots of reasons to head to Park City for the day. I will be selling some stamping/scrapbooking supplies, Longaberger baskets, books and more. Let me know if you'd like our address...

Today's music was varied. I listened to Blake Shelton on my way to work and at lunch, and then listened to Annie Lennox on my way home from work. Both great artists. Both have great music.

Please comment on my blog if you'd like. I don't try to force my views down anyone's throats. We all have freedom of choice, that's what makes America so great!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.



-Ronald Reagan

Comments

Peggy said…
Linda, your views and mine are just about the same. I think you expressed it very well.

If I didn't already have a house full of baskets and stamping supplies I would brave the crowds of Park City to come to your sale. I hope you do really well.
Chris said…
Linda, we've probably discussed this issue before. I was raised to respect life and would never consider an abortion personally, no matter the circumstances. But that does not give me the right to tell other people what to do. My most vehement agreement would have to be that abortion should not be used as a means of birth control. Ever. In my opinion, adoption is a much better choice. I have a precious niece that would not be my niece without the miracle of her adoption into my family.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

K-STATE WINS!

K-STATE beat KU! AWESOME! It was a tense game. Corby is a huge KU fan, and even having a son at K-State hasn't changed that. I am happy when any Kansas team does well; but I had to root for K-State tonight. If the Jayhawks had to lose, I'm glad it was to K-State. Michael Beasley is a great player, and my only concern is that he will leave after his freshman year and go pro. WAY TO GO CATS!