Skip to main content

Christmas 2009

Kaitlin made it home Tuesday night, before any stormy weather. Since a blizzard and high wind warning was in effect late Wednesday night and all day Thursday, the boys both came home late Wednesday night. Kaleb got off work at 6pm. Brandon was supposed to work until 10pm, but managed to get off a little before 9. So they were on the road by about 9:45pm, and made it home a little after midnight. They didn't run into any bad weather, but when the storm hit Thursday morning I was sure glad they made it home the night before! While we really didn't get very much snow, we had enough wind and drifting to create hazardous roads. We enjoyed junk food night Christmas Eve, and watched "The Hangover". It was stupid, but pretty darn funny!

We were able to have almost all my family together for Christmas Day. Corby's side of the family lives in Oklahoma. One of these days the Joplin side of the family all needs to get together for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We always used to spend Thanksgiving with his family, but since his mom and stepdad are both gone now, we haven't been together for the holidays. We keep in touch with his brother and his family, but his sister does not keep in touch and we aren't even sure if she's still in Oklahoma, though we believe she is. It's sad when families drift apart. Doug, Debbie and kids - we MUST make a concerted effort to get together in 2010!

We had a wonderful feast: pork loin, roasted potatoes, homemade mac & cheese, sweet potato casserole, corn, rolls, and tons of desserts! Oh, and my brother-in-law Mark made shrimp & spinach lasagna.

Here are some pics:

Christmas Eve - Kaitlin and Brandon playing tic-tac-toe...


Cinnamon - the snow puppy


The "nerd" cave - Kaitlin's old bedroom has been turned into the boys' computer geek game room - temporarily


Kaitlin with her Santa gifts


Kaleb with his Santa gifts


Brandon with his Santa gifts


Sweet potato casserole being prepared (before topping)


Sweet potato casserole (after topping)


Rhonda with her reindeer ears


Me in my Santa hat


Abby & Muffin getting away from everyone - chilling on Kaleb's bed


My brother Terry being silly. This reminds me of old pictures we have of my dad and my Uncle Gerald. They were ALWAYS making goofy faces. Terry obviously inherited the "silly" gene...


My niece Lenore and her husband Daniel opening gifts


Abby insisting on being the center of attention


You can see more pictures on my Facebook page if you have access...

My niece Lenore had my name for Christmas, and I got a box of neat gifts. She gave me a couple of books, a really special wood bird that she got in Africa (I love to get things from her world travels!), some German candy and some hand soap I believe she said is made in Greece. She also loaned me a book from one of my favorite authors, Michael Palmer. Thanks for all the goodies Lenore! The kids got me some cool things too: Brandon got me some K-State tealight candle holders, Kaitlin got me a gift pak from Bath & Body Works (our FAVORITE store!) and Kaleb got me two K-State t-shirts. My sister Rhonda gave me some Bath & Body Works lotion and a gift card to Amazon - which I've already spent! I bought two books and a CD yesterday! My gift from Corby was my new phone, which I got a couple of weeks ago. Thanks everyone!



Saturday was spent running around town. After visiting mom, we went to Border's, Petco, Verizon, Lowe's and Target. Kaitlin, Brandon and I later went to Best Buy, Kohl's and Petsmart. We are trying to find a heated water bowl for Sugar because her water keeps freezing, even in the garage. However, I'm not paying $50 for a bowl. We'll keep looking...


I'm off work until Wed., and other than taking mom to the eye doctor Tuesday afternoon, we'll be hanging with the kids. Corby is off all week, the twins aren't going back until next Sunday, and Brandon will probably go back Friday evening or Saturday morning, as he will probably have to work on Saturday.


Yesterday Corby and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary. Well, celebrated isn't really the word. We were so busy with other things we pretty much forgot about it. We usually don't give each other gifts for our anniversary. However, we are going to start saving money to go somewhere special for our 25th, though it won't be ON our anniversary since it's December 26th! I'm thinking maybe January 2013 we'll go somewhere warm - Jamaica, Aruba, anywhere!







 

Comments

Loved the dinner and hanging out on Christmas! Enjoy the books :)

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

K-STATE WINS!

K-STATE beat KU! AWESOME! It was a tense game. Corby is a huge KU fan, and even having a son at K-State hasn't changed that. I am happy when any Kansas team does well; but I had to root for K-State tonight. If the Jayhawks had to lose, I'm glad it was to K-State. Michael Beasley is a great player, and my only concern is that he will leave after his freshman year and go pro. WAY TO GO CATS!