Skip to main content

Why do I do this????

Why, oh why do I subject myself and my family to a garage sale every year, sometimes twice a year?

Oh, in the good ol' days when the kids were young, we made quite a bit of money. Baby, toddler and small kids clothing, toys and furniture sell quite well. And since we had 3 little ones, we would have some big, awesome sales. We also had a great location right off Pawnee and Pattie. We had so much fun one time when Brandon was about 7 and the twins were about 5. Brandon and Kaitlin dressed up in costumes - Brandon with a red & white polka dot clown tie and a goofy hat, Kaitlin in a prom dress w/pearls - and they stood at the corner of Pawnee and waved to cars driving by. I don't know how many people went around the block and came back by just to comment on the kids! Ah, those were the good old days.

Nowadays in Park City, the garage sales aren't quite as good. We have kind of a dilemma - whether to join the city-wide sales, when there are sometimes over 100 in about a 4 square mile area, or do our own on a different weekend. I've done a "stand-alone" sale - the first year we moved out here. That was THE most unsuccessful sale we've ever had. So, we join the city-wide bandwagon. Some sales are better than others. If there are over 100 sales, like today, and it's hot, like today - our sales aren't as good. I think people start out in a certain area of town and get hot & tired after a couple of hours, so they don't go to the other parts of town.

Anyway, it was so hot and humid today, but we stuck it out until a little after 3pm. I thankfully made just enough money to cover the new battery we had to buy for my car AND Cinnamon's visit to the vet yesterday (more on those stories later). But, was it worth it? I'm not sure it is anymore. This might be my last sale. But then again, I've said that before.

I had a tooth pulled on Tuesday afternoon. It was the first time I've used gas, and I'm glad I did. Everything went smoothly, and so far, no problems.


Thursday evening went I left work, my car wouldn't start. Kaitlin was leaving at the same time (thank goodness) so we jump-started it, but after driving it about a half block, the check engine light came on, it died, and wouldn't start again. I left the car there, and rode home with Kaitlin. Corby stopped by Friday morning on his way to work to check it out, and determined it was the battery. He replaced it Friday evening after he got off work, and voila - I had my car back!


Oh, and in between getting off work and replacing my battery he and Kaitlin took Cinnamon to the vet. She had been in the house overnight earlier in the week, and kept shaking her head, which is a sign of an ear infection. She's had them before and the vet gave us ear drops. We had a little bit left in a bottle that expired 6 months ago, so we weren't sure if we should use it. However, she was shaking her head so much we went ahead and did it in the middle of the night. The vet would not give us more drops without them checking her out, so off she went. Because of the fur in her ears, if her ears get wet she's prone to getting a yeast infection. The office call, ear drops, and Claritin (from Walmart) cost $100.


So - battery - $93. Vet visit & allergy meds for the dog - $100. Almost $200 spent in about 2 hours. UGH! Oh, and my sister Rhonda had to get a new battery for her car this week too.


But wait, it gets better - well - not better. How about more of the same? Kaleb headed home for the weekend this morning and experienced some car problems as he got to Salina. His radio went off and the gauges on his car started acting funny. He was smart enough to pull off and go to a Walmart then call us. Upshot of his morning? He had to get a new battery too! Yep, life in our household is never boring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

VACATION

On vacation for a few days (return to work on Thursday)...here's where I wish I was... I plan on enjoying some peace and quiet...and possibly, if I get motivated, getting some cleaning and organizing done in the office area of the basement. We'll see if that motivation arrives (it's not here yet)... Good news for Park City residents...recycling came to town the first of January. We are charged $4.00 month (added onto our already high water bill); but it has lowered the price of our trash pickup. The company P.C. contracted with has a much lower price than the company we use. Our company matched the price, so our trash bills went down (considerably) AND we get to recycle. We can recycle almost all our plastics, newspapers, cardboard, aluminum cans, cereal boxes, glass, motor oil, etc. We've got two big bags to set out tomorrow. Just doin' our part for the environment. We are without hot water right now...our hot water heater needs a new thermo-couple? It's a fair

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore