Skip to main content

Great weekend

While it was a crazy busy week at work, this weekend has been the best! Brandon came home Thursday night, and promptly went to a concert at Hartman Arena. We visited a bit when he got home late that night, and then he came down and met me for lunch at The Beacon on Friday. Kaleb came home Friday afternoon, so we all had a good visit on Friday night. Yesterday, we had a giant cookout at our house with lots of family members. My cousin, Diana and her husband, Tim, were in town from Durango, CO to visit Tim's dad for Easter. She and her family came over, as well as all my family and my best friend, Melody, and we had a wonderful cookout and family time.

I realized after the day was over that I didn't take very many pictures, and even though that makes me sad, it also makes me realize that the family time and visiting was much more important.

We grew up without many extended family members living in Wichita. My mom was an only child, so we looked forward to visits from our cousins in St. Louis and Green River, Wyoming. Uncle Gerald, Aunt Norma and cousins Debbie and Steve from Green River didn't visit much, but we enjoyed it whenever they visited. Uncle Louie, Aunt Coney, and my cousins Marsha, Diana, June, Chris and Robert visited every year from St. Louis, so we were all quite close. My sister Rhonda and I have wonderful memories of singing Monkee's songs with Diana and June. There were several times that Rhonda and I went back to St. Louis for a week or two after our relatives annual summer visit. We have a LOT of fond memories. In the early 90's, we started having a family reunion in Kansas City - about a halfway point for the families. Our last reunion was in 2006, due to the health of my Uncle Louie and my mom. So I didn't see my cousins again until we went to Louie's funeral last August. Lots of tears were shed, but we also talked about the wonderful memories we had. One in particular that we talked about was the time we were visiting St. Louis, and our parents went out for the evening. We were all in the basement of my aunt and uncle's house, and my oldest brother Terry was telling us ghost stories. I don't remember much about the ghost stories, other than a head rolling down some stairs. When we heard strange sounds right after that particular story, we all grabbed assorted protective equipment, bats, shoes, etc. Lo and behold, my oldest cousin Marsha was coming home from work. Let me tell you, she's lucky to be alive today!

It was wonderful to visit with Diana and her family yesterday, her husband Tim, her father-in-law, Alex, her children Kelly, David, Katie and her fiance Tim, and her youngest daughter Danielle. We're now planning a family reunion for 2012 in Wichita, where I hope my other cousins: Marsha, Ernie and their family, June & Thom, Chris & Debbie & their family and Robert can all attend. We always have so much fun when we're together. I won't tell you about the time several of the group (who will remain nameless) got arrested while at our reunion in KC. It was for something petty, and should never have occurred. But none of us will forget it.

Here are some pics from yesterday:

Diana, Mon and Rhonda

All the young'uns playing basketball

Diana's kids: Danielle, Katie, David, Katie's fiance, Tim and the legs of her  hubby Tim (HA!)

And the Shocker shirt-wearing group of Kaitlin, Brandon and Corby

It's been a great weekend!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It was a great time, just wish it would have been a little warmer and if the sun had stayed out. Food was very good and it was great seeing Diana and Tim and their kids. Makes me sad that its been 5 years since the last reunion.

Rhonda

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

K-STATE WINS!

K-STATE beat KU! AWESOME! It was a tense game. Corby is a huge KU fan, and even having a son at K-State hasn't changed that. I am happy when any Kansas team does well; but I had to root for K-State tonight. If the Jayhawks had to lose, I'm glad it was to K-State. Michael Beasley is a great player, and my only concern is that he will leave after his freshman year and go pro. WAY TO GO CATS!