Skip to main content

Great weekend

While it was a crazy busy week at work, this weekend has been the best! Brandon came home Thursday night, and promptly went to a concert at Hartman Arena. We visited a bit when he got home late that night, and then he came down and met me for lunch at The Beacon on Friday. Kaleb came home Friday afternoon, so we all had a good visit on Friday night. Yesterday, we had a giant cookout at our house with lots of family members. My cousin, Diana and her husband, Tim, were in town from Durango, CO to visit Tim's dad for Easter. She and her family came over, as well as all my family and my best friend, Melody, and we had a wonderful cookout and family time.

I realized after the day was over that I didn't take very many pictures, and even though that makes me sad, it also makes me realize that the family time and visiting was much more important.

We grew up without many extended family members living in Wichita. My mom was an only child, so we looked forward to visits from our cousins in St. Louis and Green River, Wyoming. Uncle Gerald, Aunt Norma and cousins Debbie and Steve from Green River didn't visit much, but we enjoyed it whenever they visited. Uncle Louie, Aunt Coney, and my cousins Marsha, Diana, June, Chris and Robert visited every year from St. Louis, so we were all quite close. My sister Rhonda and I have wonderful memories of singing Monkee's songs with Diana and June. There were several times that Rhonda and I went back to St. Louis for a week or two after our relatives annual summer visit. We have a LOT of fond memories. In the early 90's, we started having a family reunion in Kansas City - about a halfway point for the families. Our last reunion was in 2006, due to the health of my Uncle Louie and my mom. So I didn't see my cousins again until we went to Louie's funeral last August. Lots of tears were shed, but we also talked about the wonderful memories we had. One in particular that we talked about was the time we were visiting St. Louis, and our parents went out for the evening. We were all in the basement of my aunt and uncle's house, and my oldest brother Terry was telling us ghost stories. I don't remember much about the ghost stories, other than a head rolling down some stairs. When we heard strange sounds right after that particular story, we all grabbed assorted protective equipment, bats, shoes, etc. Lo and behold, my oldest cousin Marsha was coming home from work. Let me tell you, she's lucky to be alive today!

It was wonderful to visit with Diana and her family yesterday, her husband Tim, her father-in-law, Alex, her children Kelly, David, Katie and her fiance Tim, and her youngest daughter Danielle. We're now planning a family reunion for 2012 in Wichita, where I hope my other cousins: Marsha, Ernie and their family, June & Thom, Chris & Debbie & their family and Robert can all attend. We always have so much fun when we're together. I won't tell you about the time several of the group (who will remain nameless) got arrested while at our reunion in KC. It was for something petty, and should never have occurred. But none of us will forget it.

Here are some pics from yesterday:

Diana, Mon and Rhonda

All the young'uns playing basketball

Diana's kids: Danielle, Katie, David, Katie's fiance, Tim and the legs of her  hubby Tim (HA!)

And the Shocker shirt-wearing group of Kaitlin, Brandon and Corby

It's been a great weekend!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It was a great time, just wish it would have been a little warmer and if the sun had stayed out. Food was very good and it was great seeing Diana and Tim and their kids. Makes me sad that its been 5 years since the last reunion.

Rhonda

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The Lost Girls by Allison Brennan

THE LOST GIRLS
by ALLISON BRENNAN
St. Martin's Press
November 1, 2016
5 STARS

Love Brennan's Lucy Kincaid series!

Siobhan Walsh has been looking for two sisters who disappeared 2 years ago. She feels responsible, so when she gets a phone call from a Texas priest, who has found an abandoned newborn with a locket nearby that she'd given one of the girls; she goes to Texas in hopes of finding them. She calls in her FBI friends, including Lucy Kincaid, and the search is on. Meanwhile, Lucy's fiance, Sean, has an unexpected visit from a former girlfriend. Her husband, and the 12 year old son he never knew he had, have disappeared in Mexico. So it's time for the Rogan family to find out what's going on.

This is a suspenseful, hard-to-put-down book, so hang on for the ride! Be prepared for a human trafficking story that is hard to stomach, and more than likely, all too true in this day and age. Mexican cartels, murder and mayhem. This book has it all.

Entertainment Weekly "REVISITED"

(thanks for the REVISITED idea, Robyn!)

Okay, I posted last week a blog entry about Entertainment Weekly's Top 100 Movies of the last 25 years. Now I'm going to post their Top 10 TV Shows, and my Top 10 TV Shows...

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY'S TOP 10:
1. The Simpson's - don't like, never watch
2. The Sopranos - never watched
3. Seinfeld - don't like, not a Seinfeld fan
4. The X-Files - never watched
5. Sex and the City - never watched (do you see a pattern here?)
6. Survivor - UGH - I HATE ALMOST ALL REALITY SHOWS!
7. The Cosby Show - I would put this in my Top 20, but probably not my Top 10
8. Lost - never watched
9. Friends - HATED!
10. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - never watched

Obviously you can see my tastes are definitely not the same as the EW reviewer's.

Here's my Top 10:
1. Miami Vice - I still drool over Don Johnson
2. Golden Girls - consistently funny, and I love Sophia!
3. Scarecrow and Mrs. King - Bruce Boxleitner was one HOT dude!
4. CSI Miami - great cast! great st…
The Nanny Arrangement
by Rachel Harris
May 22, 2017
Entangled Publishing



Hannah has been best friends with Deacon for years, ever since she befriended him and he became her protector. Now she's been asked to be the nanny for Deacon's son, while he's embarking on a tour with a famous country band. Hannah has loved him for years, and she's determined to make him see her as more than a best friend. Do her tactics work? Does Deacon's upbringing (absent dad, alcoholic mother) prevent him from being able to maintain a relationship?

I loved the interaction that Hannah had with Deacon, as well as his band-mates wives and girlfriends. First book I've read by Harris, and I enjoyed it so much that I need to go back and read You're Still The One, the first book in the series.