Skip to main content

A Fanilow I Am

I've been a Barry Manilow fan since 1975. That was the year that his first single, Mandy, came out. I remember going to see him at Century II that year. Mandy was such a big hit, I figured, why not go check him out. He was tall, skinny, and how should I put this? Geeky, I guess. But there was something about him. He had charisma. The concert was great. I remember leaving the concert hall thinking "this guy is going to be a star".

And boy did he! The next time I saw him was in the early 80's. I'd have to dig out my old scrapbook with ticket stubs to find the exact date. This was after I met my best friend, now for about 37 or 38 years, Melody. We didn't know each other in 1975, but we were both at that concert at Century II, and we both knew he would be a star.

Barry had a song on the album "This One's For You" that resonated with both Melody and I. It was ALL THE TIME. Here are some of the lyrics:

All the time I thought
there's only me
Crazy in a way
That no one else could be
I would have given everything I own
If someone would have said, you're not alone

All the time I thought
That I was wrong
Wanting to be me, but needing to belong
If I had just believed in all I had
If someone would have said, you're not so bad

All the time, all the wasted time
All the years, waiting for a sign
To think I had it all
All the time

The song still resonates with us today. Today, after we've seen Barry in concert together at least 5 times. He was amazing again tonight at Intrust Bank Arena. And he's 72 years old! Amazing entertainer and class act!

Great time with Melody, Margaret and Kaitlin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Pod Mania

I thought I'd do a post about all the artists I have on my Ipod. If you have no desire to know, STOP, READ NO FURTHER! I have a wide range of musical tastes, and this is only a partial list. There are also a lot of other artists out there that I want to add...maybe someday! Here goes: Air Supply, Alabama, Alison Krauss, Alter Bridge, Amy Grant, Amy Winehouse, Andy Gibb, The Anointed, Audio Adrenaline, Avalon, B.J. Thomas, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Billy Dean, Billy Idol, Billy Ray Cyrus, Blake Shelton, Blessid Union of Souls, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Brad Paisley, Bread, Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Building 429, Caedmon's Call, Carly Simon, The Cars, Casting Crowns, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chris Tomlin, Cinderella, Clint Black, Collin Raye, The Commodores, Craig Morgan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Damn Yankees, Dan Fogelberg, Dau

Fun times with Lenore

While Lenore and Daniel were here, she had a library book panel at the Johnson County Library in Overland Park. So, on Tuesday afternoon, November 27th, Lenore, her friend Rachelle and I took off for KC. We had a great time visiting on the way up and back, and I didn't get tired at all driving! We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Arby's and filled up with gas at QT before heading to the library. It was an interesting panel featuring Bethany Hagen, author of Landry Park, which comes out next year; Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, which was released a few months ago; and Lenore, whose book will be released on January 15. Here's the panel: Me & Lenore: Lenore & Rachelle: Gennifer, Bethany and Lenore

K-STATE WINS!

K-STATE beat KU! AWESOME! It was a tense game. Corby is a huge KU fan, and even having a son at K-State hasn't changed that. I am happy when any Kansas team does well; but I had to root for K-State tonight. If the Jayhawks had to lose, I'm glad it was to K-State. Michael Beasley is a great player, and my only concern is that he will leave after his freshman year and go pro. WAY TO GO CATS!